[News] Microsoft's 'Gifts' Are Poisonous

| I've told you that I didn't think that anything good could result
| from Microsoft's ODF support. I was wrong, though. It's already worse
| than I expected it would be.
|
| [...]
|
| As Microsoft continues to make what appears to be pro open-source and
| standards moves, like its recent announcement of support for Xen
| virtualization, I am once more reminded of the quote from Virgil's Aeneid:
| "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts." Or, to update it and bring it closer to a
| literal translation at the same time, "I fear Microsoft even when they
| bring gifts."
`----

Also see:

The above confirm poor support for ODF, as well as 'choice' which is
discouraged. There were several GPL'd projects already going, which
permitted ODF support in Office. Microsoft nicked LGPL'd Open Source code,
incorporated it into Office and made licensing restrictive.

Some speculate the Xen virtualisation is also a death knell; for dual-boot,
for native Linux, for a positive impression of Linux (i.e. expect things to
break).