Re: [news] SourceForge Reviews High-end Linux Laptop

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ B Gruff ] on Friday 21 July 2006 16:52 \__
>
>> On Friday 21 July 2006 16:18 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> R Cubed's thin, fast Linux notebook
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>                 http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/13/1548255
>>
>> $105 and $182 for XP Home and XP Pro resp.
>> AT LAST!  Somebody spelling out the cost of pre-installed Windows - and
>> it's NOT zero!
>

> I  have  seen this several times before. It's being  charged
> for  separately. {Linux preinstalled} OR {empty  hard-drive}
> OR  {empty hard-drive with Linux installation CD, tested for
> full  compatibility  in  advance}.  Windows  is  just   some
> separate  addon,  for those who must use an  antiquated  O/S
> which  requires  many patches, third-party software  and  is
> still  not secure, is resource hungry... (the the list  goes
> on and on)
>
> The  only merit of Windows is that more people out there are
> familiar  with it (thus you get free support at the  expense
> of  somebody  else's time). But is that truly a  merit  and?
> Then  comes another aspect to consider, which is the  number
> of  games  available (putting aside the possibility of  Wine
> and  other solutions, the reluctance of many to play  games,
> and  the satisfaction with the already-large-enough  variety
> of Linux games).

It's good to see the real costs beginning to show through.  It would be
even more interesting to have a full price-up for office, and other
commonly used proprietary packages.

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things.
		-- Doug Gwyn