Re: [news] SourceForge Reviews High-end Linux Laptop

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Friday 21 July 2006 16:52 \__

> On Friday 21 July 2006 16:18 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> R Cubed's thin, fast Linux notebook
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Linux users are flocking to the stay-connected, work-anywhere
>> | contemporary lifestyle. R Cubed's LS1250-L Linux laptop is just right
>> | for these active mobile professionals. The model I tested sported a
>> | 1.73GHz Centrino processor with a 533MHz front side bus, 512MB of
>> | DDR2 memory, and a 60GB 5400RPM hard drive.
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/13/1548255
>
> $105 and $182 for XP Home and XP Pro resp.
> AT LAST!  Somebody spelling out the cost of pre-installed Windows - and
> it's NOT zero!

I  have  seen this several times before. It's being  charged
for  separately. {Linux preinstalled} OR {empty  hard-drive}
OR  {empty hard-drive with Linux installation CD, tested for
full  compatibility  in  advance}.  Windows  is  just   some
separate  addon,  for those who must use an  antiquated  O/S
which  requires  many patches, third-party software  and  is
still  not secure, is resource hungry... (the the list  goes
on and on)

The  only merit of Windows is that more people out there are
familiar  with it (thus you get free support at the  expense
of  somebody  else's time). But is that truly a  merit  and?
Then  comes another aspect to consider, which is the  number
of  games  available (putting aside the possibility of  Wine
and  other solutions, the reluctance of many to play  games,
and  the satisfaction with the already-large-enough  variety
of Linux games).