Re: [News] Apple Snatches Windows Users

__/ [ Rick ] on Friday 21 July 2006 17:29 \__

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2006/tc20060719_557792.htm

>> I wonder how many of these former Windows users (will) wind up with the
>> Linux kernel, rather than BSD/Darwin.
>
> Probably very few.

Perhaps.  But there is a small wave of users who escape  the
closed-source  kernel, proprietary formats, DRM, prebundling
and  high cost. This included two key people recently. I  am
aware that you are using a Mac yourself, so...

Imagine  to  yourself the cost of buying a Mac  cluster  for
your  classroom.  Even if you opt for Open Source  software,
the  cost can be be twice as high as a Linux equivalent  (or
the cluster just half the size). And the skills students are
taught are also bound to a commercial vendor, which is bad.