Re: New Videos Guide Users on Dual-boot

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, gagnonrchrd@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<gagnonrchrd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on 21 Jul 2006 06:38:40 -0700
<1153489120.496913.174290@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Dual-booting Windows and Linux the easy way (Linux.com videos)
>>
>> An excellent step-by-step videos-based guide. There is no longer a reason to
>> have any machine in the house/office which is Windows-only.
>>
>>                 http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/20/1654251

> Hello Roy
>
> How about a video for dual booting two or three Linux distros? I will
> not put windows on my Linux box and Never put windows on my Linux box.

I will not even begin to understand the precise ordering that you
intended here.  Perhaps you can rephrase the above? :-)

> Just about every tutorial mentions windows and Linux. I am not into
> pain.

My thinking on dual-booting is that the term "duel-boot" is
not my preferred spelling but I appreciate the sentiment,
and it's probably more accurate anyway, since it turns
out I use Linux most of the time on the two boxes I've
equipped for dual-booting.

I suspect I'm not alone....

> Right now I have a couple of 80gb hds in removable drive trays for my
> Linux box but I am only successful in messing up the hds.

That's clear as mud at the moment.  Are there any other drives on that
box?  Also, in "messing them up":

[1] did you screw up the partitioning beyond repair (i.e., the only way
to fix it was to wipe the bootblock and start over)?
[2] did you lose the system on those drives (a relatively minor point
on a fresh install, but very annoying)?
[3] did you lose important data?
[4] did you damage the hard drives so that they no longer function?

"Messing them up" isn't exactly the most precise terminology. :-)

> There is a
> lot of wasted space. Techies will say it is easy but for windows users
> trying to convert to Linux, it is a different story.

There's probably a number of issues, and it may depend on the user's
preferences.  I'll admit I'm not sure how to convert a user fully from
the "one partition occupies the entire drive" Windows-OEM way of
thinking (it's simplest for them!) to the "OK, everything's properly
partitioned" pure Linux method -- if this can be called "pure",
admittedly; partitioning is not limited to Linux, certainly.

> I left command
> line with dos years ago.

Well, it never left you. :-)  It's always been there in
some form.  I'm not sure there's a GUI equivalent for
ipconfig /release, and ipconfig /renew, for example --
a sequence that occasionally has to be done on problematic
DHCP networks, as I understand it.

And of course, if one knows where the .EXE is, one can
always run it manually in a CMD terminal.  (However,
that's easier said than done in many cases, although
in a pinch one can look at the menu entry installed by
the application's installer,
using Start>Settings>Taskbar&Start Menu:Advanced.)

> Right now I have Linspire 5.1.427 on one hd
> and Kubuntu 6.06 on another.
> Thanks in advance.

I'll admit I wouldn't mind encoding a video, though
there are a lot of issues I'd have to work through (for
starters, digitizing the input somehow; I have a camera
but the coax side of my network -- where the Amiga,
the Personal Animation Recorder, and its now-puny 1.7
GB proprietary-data hard drive -- has been dead for
awhile, and my attempts to resurrect it have been thus
far unsuccessful).

Of course I could get by on simply encoding the desktop,
which would not require a camera, simply an app that can
capture the desktop bitmap every 1/5th of a second or so,
and encode it into a .mpg or some such.  I recall seeing
a method by which one can take a VNC viewer and capture
its output to some sort of flash or anim file, but I can't
find it now.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.