Re: Croatia government goes Open Source

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 21 July 2006 13:39 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 21 July 2006 08:58 \__
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Idea for a website - a table of national governments with a coding which
>>> shows 100% legacy proprietary, Y% moved to open-source, 100%
>>> open-source.  Any volunteers?
>>
>> Nice idea, Mark. We can set up a Wiki in a new domain, but I
>> suspect  that  a  map would be more appealing. It  would  be
>> somewhat like a game of risk, wouldn't it? This also reminds
>> me   of  Om  Malik's  recent  project  (it  happens  to   be
>> Wiki-based)  for gathering a community-driven  knowledgebase
>> about  broadband  usage, speed, suppliers, etc.  around  the
>> world.  Since  no-one has enough information, maybe a  table
>> with countries and a list of milestones could do...
>
> A map would be excellent, but probably considerably more difficult to
> implement than a wiki.  A linux risk game could be quite compelling,
> though...

We  could  use the Google Maps API, maybe even extend it  to
Earth.  *smile*  This reminds me of the guy who  implemented
Risk in Google Maps (non-profit)and then got a letter from a
solicitor demanding that he removes it. Blame copyrights. It
was on Slashdot. Twice.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
  2:20pm  up 1 day  2:04,  6 users,  load average: 0.72, 0.61, 0.53