Re: Microsoft DRM

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft DRM
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 05:07:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Tim Smith ] on Wednesday 31 May 2006 16:49 \__

> In article <1326991.FI1NoModER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> For Apple DRM, I am aware of some tools that mass-process them and strip
>> the locks. I could find the links, but I suspect that Mr. Apple (Tim
>> Smith) will be quicker at doing so.
>
> The only one I know of is hymn, but that one has not worked for a long
> time, as they have not managed to crack the current version of the DRM (or,
> if they have, they are keeping it secret).
>
> Back when it worked, it was easy to automate.  I had some scripts that
> would let me take all my iTunes music, copy it to my Linux box, unprotect
> the protected files, and build XMMS playlists for each album, organized in
> a useful directory tree structure, based on the metadata in the iTunes
> library
> XML file.  What I'd then do is basically have a Konqueror window open on
> that tree, and use it is my music browser, dragging and dropping the
> playlists over the XMMS when I wanted to play something.
>
> Those scripts are available here:
>
>     http://www.tzs.net/ipod/
>
> The documentation is kind of sparse, as this was basically a "Here, I've
> hacked together some things for my own use--use them if you want and can
> figure them out release", rather than an attempt to start an actual
> project.

Thanks, Tim.

You would agree it's far from trivial. Essentially, if you (generally
speaking) submitted to the whole 'Mac experience', you are likely to have
downloaded some songs that would not 'travel' with you elsewhere. I call
this a lockin and I find it unethical. It should be illegalised too, in my
humble opinion.

Think of mineral water. It's not the shape of the bottles that matters here.
It is more like supplying dozens of mineral water bottles that can only be
consumed (the _water_, I emphasise) provided that you have one particular
stand from one particular vendor. Let is call it poisonous water, which some
proprietary device cleanses deep inside. The exit barrier becomes huge and
the customer is essentially poisoned. Yes, DRM is poison.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Far away from home, robots build people"
  5:00am  up 34 days 11:32,  9 users,  load average: 0.56, 0.94, 0.92