Re: Woman Targetted by Windows Flaw

__/ [ arachnid ] on Thursday 01 June 2006 03:43 \__

> On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 03:17:26 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Chirag Shukla ] on Thursday 01 June 2006 02:32 \__

>>> Is moving to Linux not an option?
>>
>> That exactly is the point. The victim is from the same university as
>> myself, I suspect. I used to work at the IT services here (I quit to a
>> large extent) and I saw the sobbings. People lose theses and dissertations
>> all the time. Must we cope with the emotional pressure as well, as those
>> who offer help and attempt to rescue the data?
>
> Young college students are the worst. They know how to download thousands
> of illegal MP3's and pirated games and burn then to CD's, but they don't
> know how to back up the thesis they've been working on for the past year.

Very true. Sometimes, however, the underlying system does not help either. I
can think of one situation where Windows failed to boot and for information
to be pulled, this probably required data recovery experts (as opposed to a
Live CD, or whatever).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate (Medical Biophysics)
  4:05am  up 34 days 10:37,  11 users,  load average: 1.20, 1.53, 1.40