Re: Woman Targetted by Windows Flaw

__/ [ Chirag Shukla ] on Thursday 01 June 2006 02:32 \__

> arachnid wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 01:32:49 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> > ,----[ Quote ]
>> > scam | in which hackers hijack computer files and blackmail owners to
>> > get them | back.
>> > |
>> > | The new phenomenon, known as Ransomware, means victims cannot access |
>> > any of the files stored in their My Documents folder. `----
>>
>> Sounds like what happens when your business uses MS Office and
>> you need to upgrade your computers - either pay Microsoft's ransom, or
>> lose access to your data.
>
> Is moving to Linux not an option?

That exactly is the point. The victim is from the same university as myself,
I suspect. I used to work at the IT services here (I quit to a large extent)
and I saw the sobbings. People lose theses and dissertations all the time.
Must we cope with the emotional pressure as well, as those who offer help
and attempt to rescue the data?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack"
  3:10am  up 34 days  9:42,  11 users,  load average: 0.46, 1.13, 1.18