Re: Novell Expects Increased Earnings Owing to SUSE Linux

  • Subject: Re: Novell Expects Increased Earnings Owing to SUSE Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 17:12:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Thursday 01 June 2006 15:57 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> http://biz.yahoo.com/research/earncal/20060531.html?t=novl
>>
>> Despite NetWare's demise, The firm is due to report earnings later.
>
> Didn't work out that way. Overall revenue was down. Linux revenue was
> up 20% from last year which isn't the huge growth that I would expect.
> (MSFT as a entire company grew 13%) Total Linux revenue increased by
> 20% for a *total* of $10 million. It's growing but it's a very small
> percentage of Novell's total revenue stream. NOVL doesn't break-down
> services revenue by sector (Netware, Linux, etc.) but services revenue
> was also down from last year.

I later read about these lowered-than-forecast corollaries. Just remember
that Novell is not an embodiment of Linux. They are a poster child for the
penetration of Linux into the enterprise.

> The stock is getting hammered (deja-vu MSFT all over again) but most of
> this seems to be related to "ethically challenged" management.
>
> <quote>
> On a non-GAAP basis, net income per diluted common share, excluding
> Celerant, for the third fiscal quarter 2006 is expected to be $0.03,
> excluding an estimated $0.03 per share expense from stock-based
> compensation.
> </quote>

Yes, I have balanced over most of these articles, which Yahoo delivers by
feeds. Try these if you find the time or need. You can track symbols, which
Yahoo tag in their XML-imported news releases.

> It looks like the net-income was 3-cents per share but this doesn't
> include the 3-cents/share stock-based compensation that management gave
> themselves. It looks like the company repurchased shares but at the
> same time, issued new-shares to management as compensation.

Stop being so critical. Sure, I am being critical of Microsoft, but there we
talk about a company that is experiencing a small crisis when facing its
impatient investors. Ironically, Novell are much closer to you
(geographically) than the company you once worked for -- that which endowed
a monetary gift for life, all brought upon you. I will refuse to accept your
opinions in this context. Never without a barrel of salt anyway.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
  5:05pm  up 34 days 23:37,  9 users,  load average: 0.32, 0.75, 0.75