Re: Advanced means easy to use!

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ x0054 ] on Friday 02 June 2006 05:51 \__
>
>> smthzer <smthpsaz2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>>
>>> Linux is pretty cool, but these are my pet peeves:
>>>
>>> Why do so many people only release source code and not binaries for
>>> programs? I'm not a programmer nor do I ever want to be one. I just
>>> want to use applications. So why must I always have to compile BS all
>>> the time? Everytime I go to download something, only to discover that
>>> it is only available in source, I think "Oh shit, here we go again!"
>>> Half the God damn time, the compilations don't work for some unknown
>>> reason. Crossing your fingers is always the step you have to do before
>>> "make". I HATE COMPILING!
>

> What do you think RPM's are for? Red Hat has simplified things by
> precompiling everything for various platforms, making installation just a
> double-click (dependent on desktop environment) job.

Not always 100% successfull, there are odd occasions when they don't seem to
work. I used an RPM to install RealPlayer, I don't know if I did something
wrong, but it wouldn't start. So I trashed it went back to the Ubuntu wiki
site and tried an alternative method (the one I should have picked in the
first place doh!), which I am pleased to say now works a treat.

>>> Also, if Linux wants to become serious against Windows, it still
>>> needs to get much easier to use.  Normal people don't like
>>> "instructions" telling you to "Do this, do that, link this [even
>>> though they won't tell you how to link]" all the time.  Instructions
>>> for some programs might as well just say, "Pat your head and rub your
>>> stomach while saying 'rubber baby buggy bumpers'".
>

> Instructions: Go to System -> Add/remove software -> Tick package of
> interest -> Click OK
>
> Linux developers are sorry as this couldn't be further simplified. The O/S
> does not read your mind.

As good as the Package Manager is (especially Synaptic), I still find that I
need to visit the Ubuntu Wiki site for guidance when installing certain
things.

I think Synaptic should have instead of All, it should 'All Packages' and
Everything. 'All Packages' would just list 'top' level packages, not libs
and other associated stuff.

May be even a button for RPM's which brings a dialog up where you provide it
with where the RPM is, and where you want it installed (if appropriate
default being /opt).

>>> RTFM?  Oh, I love this war cry.  TFM's always seem to have everything
>>> in them except exactly what you are looking for.  And, why don't "man
>>> pages" have any examples of usage?  One or two examples of usage per
>>> command could replace dozens of pages in man pages that are
>>> absolutetly worthless. (Just think of how many times you have had to
>>> try some command over and over again until you figured out the
>>> convention used to pass flags?  One freakin' example could've
>>> eliminated that.)
>>
>> Totally true, I like examples!
>

> You need never use these. Man pages are *unnecessary* unless you prefer
> the command-line setting. It is usually experienced users who choose to do
> so. The command-line increases productivity in most cases (expressiveness
> being the key factor). Even Windows is due to have an improved
> command-line utility (a CLI(nterface)), known as Monad. I can assure you
> in advance that it will also have so-called 'man pages', much like
> help.exe in DOS. So why nag? Because Linux has something extra, which
> Windows, for example simply lacks?

I think the nag is mainly due to a lack of examples. I would have to agree
here too. 'A picture paints a thousands words'. Some good every day
examples really help your understanding of the command you are trying to
use. They become even more important for people like me who are hopeless at
remembering syntax.

When I am programming and I am looking at the help it usually goes:

1. Prototype.
2. Example - (if further help is needed).
3. Explanation - (if still further help is needed).

<snip>

--
Regards,

http://za1012001.googlepages.com/home