Re: Advanced means easy to use!

  • Subject: Re: Advanced means easy to use!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 06:44:54 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ x0054 ] on Friday 02 June 2006 05:51 \__

> smthzer <smthpsaz2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> Linux is pretty cool, but these are my pet peeves:
>>
>> Why do so many people only release source code and not binaries for
>> programs? I'm not a programmer nor do I ever want to be one. I just
>> want to use applications. So why must I always have to compile BS all
>> the time? Everytime I go to download something, only to discover that
>> it is only available in source, I think "Oh shit, here we go again!"
>> Half the God damn time, the compilations don't work for some unknown
>> reason. Crossing your fingers is always the step you have to do before
>> "make". I HATE COMPILING!

What do you think RPM's are for? Red Hat has simplified things by
precompiling everything for various platforms, making installation just a
double-click (dependent on desktop environment) job.

>> Also, if Linux wants to become serious against Windows, it still
>> needs to get much easier to use.  Normal people don't like
>> "instructions" telling you to "Do this, do that, link this [even
>> though they won't tell you how to link]" all the time.  Instructions
>> for some programs might as well just say, "Pat your head and rub your
>> stomach while saying 'rubber baby buggy bumpers'".

Instructions: Go to System -> Add/remove software -> Tick package of interest
-> Click OK

Linux developers are sorry as this couldn't be further simplified. The O/S
does not read your mind.

>> RTFM?  Oh, I love this war cry.  TFM's always seem to have everything
>> in them except exactly what you are looking for.  And, why don't "man
>> pages" have any examples of usage?  One or two examples of usage per
>> command could replace dozens of pages in man pages that are
>> absolutetly worthless. (Just think of how many times you have had to
>> try some command over and over again until you figured out the
>> convention used to pass flags?  One freakin' example could've
>> eliminated that.)
>
> Totally true, I like examples!

You need never use these. Man pages are *unnecessary* unless you prefer the
command-line setting. It is usually experienced users who choose to do so.
The command-line increases productivity in most cases (expressiveness being
the key factor). Even Windows is due to have an improved command-line
utility (a CLI(nterface)), known as Monad. I can assure you in advance that
it will also have so-called 'man pages', much like help.exe in DOS. So why
nag? Because Linux has something extra, which Windows, for example simply
lacks?

>> Click n' Point?  Oh, I love this war cry too.  Well, you
>> know what? You are right that I want to "click 'n point".  You know
>> why? Because my calender says that we are in the 21st Century. Thats
>> why. Things SHOULD be simple.  With a lot of things, it seems like
>> Linux deliberatly goes out of it's way to be as complicated as
>> possible.  Why?? Let me guess, it needs to be complicated to "prove
>> how advanced it is"? No. Things that are really advanced are things
>> that are made to be simple. That is true evolution!

Speaking of Evolution, have you used Ubuntu (GNOME) yet? It sounds as though
you are pulling lots of knobs in KDE.

> Not true, complicated = more powerful. But I don't see what so
> complicated about linux, I used to, but now it's about 50/50 Some things
> a lot easier in Linux and some are easier in Win. I imagine that with
> time that will shift further and further to linux, I am getting a hang
> of linux desktop. I find that alot of things that seem strange about
> linux are only strange by comparison.

Linux gives you function *where* you need it, *if* you need it, *whenever*
you need it. I found that I am far more productive with 'window focus
follows mouse'. How come Tiger and XP do not offer this option? What about
virtual desktops? And, no, I can't be bothered browsing the Net to find some
unreliable third-party software.

>> You are right if you call me "lazy".  I am.  If Linux wants to get
>> really advanced, then it should be easy for us lazy people.  That is,
>> those of us with lives who simply just want to use their computers as
>> tools without having to "RTFM" on a Friday night.

Try Ubuntu. It has become extremely popular for a reason (boasting millions
of registered users). Version 6 was released yesterday. It is intended to
annihilate exactly the same nags that you express in your post. Its
installation and use were shown to be simpler than that of its rivals.

> I have not compiled a single package on my Debian server! EVRYTHING I
> ever need can be apt-get. Or you can use 'aptitude', just start, type
> the name of the program you whant, select, install, you are done! No
> compile, always works!
>
> I also use slackwear, which is compile heavy. If you going to compile
> stuff you need a distribution which is friendly to compiling stuff.
> Slack is, because it has most common libs installed, Debian is not.

Truthfully, I don't think any command-line-based installation is suitable to
the OP. Most people are unfamiliar with the command-line and will never show
interest in it. It's perfectly acceptable. Linux, being advanced, offer
different strokes for different folks. And as Ghost says, Gentoo (replace
this with other distribution name like Debian and Slax) is not for everyone.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  6:30am  up 35 days 13:02,  16 users,  load average: 1.08, 0.79, 0.81