Re: Adobe-Microsoft Antitrust Lawsuit?

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Friday 02 June 2006 18:03 \__

> On Friday 02 June 2006 17:41 Tom Shelton wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Microsoft expects Adobe to file antitrust suit: WSJ
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>         http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060602/tc_nm/microsoft_adobe_dc
>>>
>>> Office attempts to 'Netscape' PDF creation tools. Google to follow suit?
>>
>> Office attempts to add a feature the OO has...  Export to pdf.  What
>> bunch of crap.  When is adobe going to contact the OpenOffice people
>> and ask them to remove the feature or charge for it?  What's fair is
>> fair, right?
>
> Ah - do we catch a hint here of what happens when one uses (or tries to
> use) formats which are not completely open?
> This situation is, I suspect, very similar to the one which I and others
> worry about - what could/might occur should people implement Microsoft's
> latest format.  The fear is that MS will/would be able to pick-and-choose
> the people who could use it.....

Interesting  insight. However, if it ever became an ISO standard (which it
can't/won't),  I suspect that all would have to honour it. It would be the
possession  of nobody. Extensions should then be made restrictive as  well
(and openly shared).

I  have always felt funny about making papers available as PDF's. I wanted
to put up Postscript instead, but the compression and quality is inferior.
The  main  deterrent were Windows users, who need to get  GhostScript  and
install  it,  which is not trivial. As usual, none of this is a peril  for
most  Linux  users. When it comes to standard formats, Linux has got  them
all in its small pockets. Windows only honours its own proprietary formats
and  a  selected, tiny fragment of open and/or standard fortmats  (*cough*
PNG,  CSS).  Due to Windows, many have to comprimise the use of  standards
(e.g. IE hacks in Web development)

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Signature pending approval"
  6:45pm  up 36 days  1:17,  10 users,  load average: 0.91, 0.76, 0.99