Re: Adobe-Microsoft Antitrust Lawsuit?

__/ [ Tom Shelton ] on Friday 02 June 2006 19:20 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ B Gruff ] on Friday 02 June 2006 18:03 \__

>> > Ah - do we catch a hint here of what happens when one uses (or tries to
>> > use) formats which are not completely open?
>> > This situation is, I suspect, very similar to the one which I and others
>> > worry about - what could/might occur should people implement Microsoft's
>> > latest format.  The fear is that MS will/would be able to
>> > pick-and-choose the people who could use it.....
>>
>> Interesting  insight. However, if it ever became an ISO standard (which it
>> can't/won't),  I suspect that all would have to honour it. It would be the
>> possession  of nobody. Extensions should then be made restrictive as  well
>> (and openly shared).
>>

> Why can't/won't it become an ISO standard?  It can and likely will.  At
> best, you might be able to argue that it will be a standard no one will
> use.

Professionals have already predicted that the XML-based standard application
will be dismissed. Two standards achieving the same thing is always a bad.
Moreover, it is based on an _existing_ implementation of just _one_ vendor.
It takes (at least) two to tango.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Falsity implies anything
  7:40pm  up 36 days  2:12,  10 users,  load average: 2.83, 2.55, 2.01