Re: Adobe-Microsoft Antitrust Lawsuit?

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 19:42:49 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Professionals have already predicted that the XML-based standard application
> will be dismissed.

Only if you call Gartner "professionals".  While they are an analysis firm,
they're not experts on XML or the ISO process.  In fact, professionals have
said the opposite, that there is no reason for ISO not to accept it.

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20060516062009210

"While supporters of ODF will be delighted if Gartner proves to be correct
with its ISO prediction, I am aware of no reason at this time to conclude
so firmly that "ISO will not approve multiple XML document formats."

> Two standards achieving the same thing is always a bad.

No, it's not.

> Moreover, it is based on an _existing_ implementation of just _one_ vendor.

As was ODF.  It has more implementations now, but when standardized, it was
only OOo (To pick nits, also StarOffice, but they're the same product
really).

Several vendors have already stepped up to support OpenXML, such as Corel

http://blogs.msdn.com/officerocker/archive/2006/01/26/517827.aspx

> It takes (at least) two to tango.

Well then, let the music begin.