Re: [Ndews] Windows Vista Drains the Juice (Battery Life)

__/ [ Jim ] on Friday 02 June 2006 19:19 \__

http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-6079215.html?part=rss&tag=6079215&subj=news

>> Similar problems in Windows mobile, by the way. More reasons to choose
>> something lighter (as in "engineered properly to work most efficiently").
>
> ya mean like gentoo or a heavily customised Debian install? :)

The key word is *customised*. By default, Vista does file indexing in the
background and I bet that few people will find the 'driver's seat preset
position' that suits their hardware.

All that said, Windows has always been a resource hog. XP is a notorious
resource pig and Vista is the outcome of just months of extending XP (or
Server). That new stuff are modules like Aero mounted atop it, slurping away
even *more* battery juice and slowing down the O/S in general.

The concept of modularity, which was all along largely ignored, is biting MS
in the rear and costing people money (battery extenders)/battery lifetime.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
  7:45pm  up 36 days  2:17,  10 users,  load average: 2.90, 2.68, 2.21