Re: [News] Linux to Challenge Graphics from Adobe, Microsoft, Apple

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 02 June 2006 19:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 02 Jun 2006 05:30:35 +0100
> <2891042.nzcNPaPC0A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "Linux needs a top-tier commercial-standard graphics program," the
>> | (Xara) team wrote in the release announcement. "The Linux desktop has
>> | come on leaps and bounds in the last year or so, but it still lacks any
>> | vector or general purpose graphics program to genuinely compete with
>> | Windows and Mac commercial products. And although desktop Linux is
>> | evolving at a rapid rate, the platform is behind in the graphics market.
>> | We intend to change that," the team added.
>> `----
>>
>>         http://www.oetrends.com/news.php?action=view_record&idnum=529
>
> Argh.  Sloppy sloppy reporting.  (No fault of yours, Roy.
> Maybe I'm being overly pedantic today. :-) )

When I initially read just the title, I became quite critical and prejudices.
It delivers the wrong message, which to me at least, almost appears like
FUD. It has the implication that Linux is not ready to compete in that
domain and, meanwhile, Xara Xtreme is bound to save the day for Linux (with
version 0.5 of the open Source version, which only recently got a **save**
function!).

I was rather peeved to discover that Inkscape was merely ignored in this
survey although, admittedly, I did not read the article in full. Frustration
had me lose my patience, I guess.

There are those who cannot comprehend the fact that "Linux is NOT Windows"
(moreso in "GNU is Not UNIX (GNU)"). For instance, people keep criticing the
GIMP UI, which I think is superior to that of conventional, commercial
equivalents (I used Paintshop and Photoshop for years). The GIMP increases
productivity, provided that you adapt to its paradigm.

Broadly speaking, the reporter/s don't seem to have a scope of knowledge
either, so you can tell which side (O/S slash software being the context)
they come from.

> Linux needs nothing of the sort; a Linux distribution
> (or users thereof), of course, might find such very useful.

Linux never needed Xara. I reported this with enthusiasm in the past as it
exemplifies one move of a hardcore commercial company into the realms of the
GPL and community-driven development. It shows that Linux is becoming
mainstream and widely accepted.

> As it is, I can count two vector editors right off: Dia,
> which has a professional look, and xfig, which is old and
> slightly klunky but very powerful.

xfig would be too unorthodox for someone like Average Joe. Its eroded X
interface (Motif?) in Linux makes it unappealing, if not appalling. Joe
wants XGL, flip views and widgets (Apple/Opera).

> The news insert mentions Xara, which looks like a third
> entry.  I know little about it but it does look like it has
> possibilities.  Gentoo doesn't appear to know about it yet,
> though I'd have to check the bug tree for a build request.

It's not ready for 'prime time' yet. It's coming along quickly though.