Re: [News] Lower Saxony Moves 12,000 Computers to Linux

__/ [ Erik Funkenbusch ] on Saturday 03 June 2006 08:51 \__

> On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 08:26:46 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> No, we totally disagree on that. I believe you are not even convincing
>> yourself here. You don't need to win every argument. Just accept that a
>> press release like "Lower Saxony Converts Last Box to Linux" would be
>> uninteresting to the general public and, in most cases, utterly
>> unnecessary. The media would rather discuss a *new* migration plan, of
>> another company/region. Media has *priorities*.
>
> On the contrary.  Such a press release would be worth a *MINT* to Linux
> vendors.  "Look, see, so and so completed their migration on time and under
> budget and saved $x million dollars in the process".

Where have you been living?

http://www.novell.com/success/ (to name just one example)

> Or better yet,
>
> "YXZ corporation migrated to foobar Linux 24 months ago, and in that time
> has reduced it's IT budget by $x million dollars, totally x% of the ovall
> budget."
>
> That would be worth a *LOT* and would be VERY interesting to a lot of
> people.  Even better "Direct of IT for XYZ corporation, after saving the
> company $x million gets promoted to CIO".
>
> Sorry, but this "It just wouldn't be interesting" argument is completely
> full of crap.
>
>> "Linux Migration in Lower Saxony Fails". Ha!! Now, that would be a better
>> headline, wouldn't it? Provided this ever happened in reality and got
>> hyper-amplified by Microsoft's PR department...
>
> How, precisely, would anyone know if the company didn't announce it?  If
> such a thing failed after a prominent announcement, most likely the company
> will go quiet and fail to comment.

You don't truly believe this, do you? If you have no defence, just stay
quiet. The Scottish police forces were sure quite loud when their migration
to StarOffice was less than successful. They were 'poisoned' by other
departments, which had sent incompatible documents, before ODF was
standardised.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack"
  8:55am  up 36 days 15:27,  10 users,  load average: 1.62, 1.77, 1.60