Re: [News] Linux Market Share Soon to Exceed 12%

__/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Saturday 03 June 2006 19:33 \__

> On 2006-06-03, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted
> something concerning:
>> __/ [ Colin Day ] on Saturday 03 June 2006 14:58 \__

>>> So when will Microsoft be prosecuted for this?
>>>
>>> Or Captain Copyright?
>>>
>>> Colin Day
>>

>> Welcome to college, here's your Windows Live account
>>
>> "Microsoft, in an attempt to spread the word about Windows Live, has
>> struck a deal with 72 colleges all across the world. And what is this said
>> deal? The colleges have agreed to let Microsoft host their student's
>> e-mail accounts."
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/4/23/3719
>
> The same people are probably worried about the US government (among
> others) having their cellphone numbers in a database, but they're not
> worried in the least about a convicted monopolist storing permanent
> copies of their private emails.

A university in a northern state recently discovered that its Windows server,
which contains full student records, had been pwned for about a year. All
the data had been leaked. Link upon demand.

Actually, took me 10 seconds to filter COLA and find it:

Ohio University suffers at least three security breaches

,----[ Quote ]
|The school's electronic-security team discovered that a server within alumni
|relations had been commandeered and was being used in a denial of service
|attack. The Social Security numbers of about 137,000 people were stored
|in that server.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-6071505.html?part=rss&tag=6071505&subj=news

Some of my claimed above were revealed to the public a few days after this
fist scoop from CNET (they still advertise Vista, by the way, just like
Linux Today).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Disk quota exceeded; sig discontinued"
  8:00pm  up 37 days  2:32,  11 users,  load average: 1.03, 1.46, 1.36