Re: [News] Lower Saxony Moves 12,000 Computers to Linux

__/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Saturday 03 June 2006 17:06 \__

> On 2006-06-03, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted
> something concerning:
>> On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 08:26:46 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> No, we totally disagree on that. I believe you are not even convincing
>>> yourself here. You don't need to win every argument. Just accept that a
>>> press release like "Lower Saxony Converts Last Box to Linux" would be
>>> uninteresting to the general public and, in most cases, utterly
>>> unnecessary. The media would rather discuss a *new* migration plan, of
>>> another company/region. Media has *priorities*.
>>
>> On the contrary.  Such a press release would be worth a *MINT* to Linux
>> vendors.  "Look, see, so and so completed their migration on time and
>> under budget and saved $x million dollars in the process".
>
> That's why you see some of those. Usually pushed by vendors to make
> news.
>
>> Or better yet,
>>
>> "YXZ corporation migrated to foobar Linux 24 months ago, and in that time
>> has reduced it's IT budget by $x million dollars, totally x% of the ovall
>> budget."
>
> That's whay you see some of those. Usually pushed by vendors. to make
> news.
>
> Curious. We see so few on the opposite side of the fence.
>
> But when you have a crumbling monopoly I suppose you have far more
> important things to concern yourself with. Like trying to enslave inner
> city kids with Windows, or doing same in poor African and Asian
> nations. Or even buying parked domains and explaining to Wall Street
> financial people that what they see isn't really what they see.
>
> Yet linux grows and grows and grows, without any centralized effort to
> make phony news every day, without any grand pub-ha marketing
> department announcing vaporware plans frequently, without a huge budget
> for advertising to tell people a load of crap about how they'll work
> better and be more productive when they start fighting new, clusmy,
> poorly-written crapware.
>
> Those things must *really* stick in your craw to keep you here day
> after day, week after week, year after year, defending the
> indefensible.

I should not have replied to E. This guy is like a bored boomerang. He
doesn't let go until somebody else loses interest or patience. When someone
is persistent enough, he simply runs off. Anyhoo... since he will read this,
here's to saying that I will not respond (haven't read the 8:27 post yet),
regardless.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: most popular O/S, yet not most widespread
  8:30pm  up 37 days  3:02,  11 users,  load average: 4.38, 3.16, 1.95