Re: Ballmer Defends Spending; MSFT Drop Continues

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ asj ] on Thursday 01 June 2006 02:03 \__
>
> > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >>               http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060531/microsoft_ballmer.html?.v=4
> >>
> >> MSFT down another 2.16% yesterday. Sad. Very sad.
> >
> > I suggest not getting sad about a company which has $33 billion in the
> > bank.
> >
> > Microsoft is not going away any time soon. It will be a force on the
> > desktop, servers, and perhaps other systems for a very long time to
> > come. We can only try to "cage" it, never kill it off completely.
>
> Well, I was being sarcastic. Truthfully, Microsoft will not die overnight.
> But it struggles already. It is beyond the point of feeling just the pinch
> of Linux. Google joined the party as well. IBM recommend Linux to their
> clients... and the list goes on and on. Grim Outlook (2007).

And yet it's Microsoft that is hiring all the time.
This May 2006 article talks of Microsoft hiring 12,000 new employees
(and that's just in its Redmond/Bellevue WA area).
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/270311_msftbellevue16.html

While Sun lays off 5000 employees, according to this May 2006 article:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2006/05/31/sun-wed.html

In human terms, it's realy hirings and layoffs that tell the true state
of a company (not stock price, which involves speculation, "beating
expectations", and other such marlarky).