Re: Red Hat Adopts Pop Culture Strategy for Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ hanumizzle@xxxxxxxxx ] on Saturday 03 June 2006 21:32 \__

> > ``Dubbed "Mugshot," the new Red Hat initiative consists of a Web site
> > with MySpace-styled social networking services: Link Swarm, an
> > Internet-link sharing community; Music Radar for trading, talking about
> > and finding music; and TV Party, a work in progress that centers on TV
> > show takes and blogs.''
> >
> > MySpace? Yuck. Where I come from, MySpace is a haven for bedwetting
> > goths who think every bit of trivia in their lives needs to be
> > disclosed to the whole world.
>
> This  comprison to MyScape is one which I found rather unappealing myself.
> MySpace  is  sometimes  associated with teenage HotLinkers,  pirates,  and
> media  theives. It is considered a 'bad crowd' by the more IT-savvy  folks
> that contribute to Wikis or reads and follow Slashdot/MSDN/Digg/other.
>
> However, if Red hat was ever to penetrate the mind of the youngsters, they
> could catch the young generation, which is due to become influential (many
> kids  teach and support the parents in that domain). Moreover, this  would
> provide  living proof that Linux is not only used by (and is usable to) IT
> professionals.

That's funny. I was at some conference for youths with prospective
interest in IT as a career, and the guy there suggested that Linux
isn't used in the 'real world'.

Maybe in this country. I have spoken with a number of people outside
the U.S. on this matter, and it would indeed seem there is a much
stronger presence of Linux in the field of technology beyond my
borders. There are certain ethnic groups whom I get along really well
with; now learning Hindi at a decent clip with plans to learn other
languages still.

(Oh, and aside from that, you made a valid point about implementing a
MyScrape like service. :D)