Re: [News] Dual-Booting Ubuntu and Another O/S

On 2006-06-03, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/2622/how-to_dual-boot_ubuntu
>
> Partition and disk management in Dapper seems to have been simplified
> _a lot_.

 Yup.

 The girl who works at my wife's bakery got a computer for Christmas
that's already died. A Compaq; I tried to use their 'recovery partition'
but it failed, just saying "Try removing any USB disks". None were
inserted, of course.

 So, in goes my freshly-torrented Ubuntu 6.06 CD. Nice, graphical
install all the way, very pretty. Very straightfoward, too. Everything
works (except possibly the modem, didn't bother with that). Then, I
download EasyUbuntu and install all the goodies. To test things, I scoot
over to trailers.apple.com and watch the trailer for Superman Returns in
480p. (The monitor I'm using is kinda crappy.) It plays smoothly and
well, and this is on some crappy SiS built-in graphics chip.

 Then I wipe and reinstall XP and Ubuntu. XP takes *forever* and has a
lot of non-graphical parts of the install. I have to use Linux to
download a bunch of cruft for XP (including the network drivers). Stick
Firefox and Thunderbird on XP, things are mostly looking good. Then a
few hours later I power it up to put a couple more apps on it, and XP
totally bombs out. Looks like the hard drive's dying. Ubuntu still runs
just fine, though. Corruption hasn't gotten to that part of the disk
yet, I guess.

 So I guess I can't blame XP for this particular failure per se, but
even when Ubuntu was installed on that part of the disk it didn't bomb
out like that. Weird.

--
 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                      (313) 227-2317

 "...somehow the media seems to have convinced the population
 that the only real candidates are from the demopublicans, and
 the rest are joke entries. While the truth is the opposite."
                    - Per Abrahamsen