Re: The Simplicity of Remote Linux Administration

__/ [ thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 05 June 2006 14:40 \__

http://dizwell.com/main/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=72&Itemid=95&pop=1&page=0

>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | what I need is a physical Linux server I can turn to in a few seconds,
>> | just like the Windows physical PC. But there's poor old Sibelius to
>> | worry about still... so what I need is a Linux server hidden in the
>> | spare room, but which I can control remotely so that it is just as much
>> | "right there", at my fingertips, as my physical Windows machine is.
>> `----
>
> Obviously it need not even be said how easy this is with technologies
> like ssh and X.

...Which to many remain an unknown. PuTTY is fortunately becoming common
knowledge -- a Swiss Army knife to Windows users, if you like. I see more
and more IT staff who are becoming familiar with PuTTY, which is 'that tool'
they can use to connect to the backends. Now, if only they had also used
Linux on their desktops...

About half an hour ago I had a long chat with a colleague. He could not quite
grasp what was going on in this XGL video which I showed him. He is not
familiar with virtual desktops and he finds it all very confusing,
especially in KDE. He has a dual-boot machine, which I urged him to
experiment with for just one hour a day. He agreed that everyone will
ultimately and inevitably move to Linux. I told him "it's better to do so
sooner rather than later". He nodded. This is yet to become a common type of
story.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Brazil spans 47.8% of S. America
  3:20pm  up 38 days 20:53,  11 users,  load average: 2.48, 2.45, 2.39