Re: [News] Lower Saxony Moves 12,000 Computers to Linux

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 05 June 2006 14:02 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Tax authorities in Lower Saxony switch to Linux
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>                         http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/73772
>>

>> Interesting to note that it's taken approximately 2 years to achieve
>> this migration.
>
> ...Which was of course successful. Given the scale of the Munich migration,
> the pace of migration is in probably in line with expectations.
>
> Remember: you don't just migrate software and data. You migrate _skills_
> (i.e. people's minds). Reversal to Windows is even more painful because too
> much is lost (source code <-> customisation, scriptability, virtual
> desktops, price goes up and so forth).

Very interesting & important observation.  As you say, for most people,
once they've gone "forwards", they don't want to go back again.
I think that the introduction of Linux will bring a whole new world,
but how to manage it?  One of the great strengths of computing back
when we were using DOS (DRDOS in my case!) was that there was huge
customisation possible, ie., the computer was a tool for my own usage.
As the Windows world has come along, it's various problems (viruses,
spyware, malware, etc. etc.) have lead to an environment where there is
an obsession with centralised control;  this obsesssion has also been
force-fed by the BSA folks to make it even stronger.  This means that
for most people, the computer, once a useful tool, is now the bane of
their lives.  How many dentists or doctors or shops do you go in where the
counter staff sit in frustration waiting for their machine to respond?
It seems to me that every time, it's Windows they're playing with.
How many work phone calls are now interspersed with "bl**dy microsoft"
as people try to find an email or get on the web?

We've a long way to go before we leave that behind, but at least we know
that Saxony can migrate 6,000 computers/year, or about 30/day (working
days, estimated!), which is about 4/hour.  That is quick!

There is brutality and there is honesty.  There is no such thing as brutal
honesty.