Re: Couple's Supposedly Destroyed Hard Drive Purchased In Chicago

  • Subject: Re: Couple's Supposedly Destroyed Hard Drive Purchased In Chicago
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 07:22:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Paul Hovnanian P.E. ] on Tuesday 06 June 2006 06:39 \__

> Chirag Shukla wrote:
>>
>> nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> > Quote:
>> > ------------------
>> > A year ago, Henry and Roma Gerbus took their computer to Best Buy in
>> > Springfield Township to have its hard drive replaced.
>> >
>> > Henry Gerbus said Best Buy assured him the computer's old hard drive --
>> > loaded with personal information -- would be destroyed.
>> >
>> > "They said rest assured. They drill holes in it so it's useless," said
>> > Gerbus.
>> >
>> > A few months ago, Gerbus got a phone call from a man in Chicago.
>> >
>> > "He said, 'My name is Ed. I just bought your hard drive for $25 at a
>> > flea market in Chicago,'" said Gerbus. "I thought my world was coming
>> > down."
>> >
>> > Gerbus and his wife had good reason to worry.
>> >
>> > A total stranger had access to the couple's personal information,
>> > including
>> > Social Security numbers, bank statements and investment records.
>> >
>> > Through information listed on the hard drive, the man in Chicago was
>> > able to contact the couple.
>> > ---------------------
>> > End quote
>> >
>> > http://news.yahoo.com/s/wlwt/20060601/lo_wlwt/9303216
>>
>> How is this related to COLA?

I concur. 'Slightly' out of place...

> Indirectly, its related to the sort of people that believe the 'trust
> me' line that technicians or certain corporations throw about.

True, but you could apply this to reason about merely anything, politics
included.

> My dentist was upgrading his office network (hardware, application and
> the latest version of Windows). I got talking to the tech (sent by the
> application vendor) about their procedures for dealing with disk drives
> with old patient records. "We re-format them before surplusing them" he
> said. I asked him if he knew what a format command did. He wasn't aware
> that, although various tables were re-written, the data sectors
> typically remain intact and can be recovered with suitable utilities.
>
> That's what an MCSE* gets you.
>
> *Minesweeper Consultant, Solitare Expert.

You know, sometimes not needing to understand the underlying technology is a
big advantage. The big question remains: will/can you trust those who make
the decision _on behalf_ of you? Think proprietary formats and DRM, for
example. People don't choose them. They just _use_ them. Corporations treat
many people with disrespect and the question is: how can people be
manipulated to satisfy our shareholder?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
  7:15am  up 39 days 12:48,  11 users,  load average: 3.40, 3.53, 3.52