Re: Couple's Supposedly Destroyed Hard Drive Purchased In Chicago

  • Subject: Re: Couple's Supposedly Destroyed Hard Drive Purchased In Chicago
  • From: alt <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 19:53:29 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:5137028.bjGCKWdCXb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

>> He wasn't aware that, although various tables were
>> re-written, the data sectors typically remain intact and can be
>> recovered with suitable utilities.

*shudder*

>> That's what an MCSE* gets you.
>>
>> *Minesweeper Consultant, Solitare Expert.
>

> You know, sometimes not needing to understand the underlying
> technology is a big advantage. The big question remains: will/can you
> trust those who make the decision _on behalf_ of you? Think
> proprietary formats and DRM, for example. People don't choose them.
> They just _use_ them. Corporations treat many people with disrespect
> and the question is: how can people be manipulated to satisfy our
> shareholder?

"Ignorance is Bliss", and that's what they count on. If people knew --
and understood -- the consequences of DRM and DMCA-like legislation,
they'd probably stop buying the stuff (if they didn't form a mob first).
But most people just don't get it.

Personally, I purchased the first CD I've purchased in about 8 months
(best guess... it's been a long time). Put it in my old PowerMac (which
is working as a jukebox these days) and just played it. No problems
whatsoever.