Re: Mark Pilgim Ditches Apple, Chooses Ubuntu Linux

In article <3350066.PFQBxxL3S0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> I can recall some lengthy forum and mailing lists discussions about X
> under Mac OS X. It is not trivial to set up. This means that the route to
> having

Must be an old post.  Several years ago, before Apple did a port, it was a
pain.  With Apple's X11 port, you just run the installer (or, if you are
doing a whole OS install, say, to update from 10.n to 10.n+1, go to the
optional components selection and select it).

After the installation, starting X is as simple as going to
/Applications/Utilities and double-clicking the X11 application.  That
starts it as a rootless X server, so X windows show up on your Mac desktop.

You can go to the preferences menu and change it to not be rootless.  That
changes it so X is on a separate screen.  You can switch back and forth
between than and your regular desktop.

>> Use NeoOffice (http://www.neooffice.org/). I found it works pretty good
>> on Mac.
>>
>> The wife needed a free WP, and at the time OOo wasn't too stable on Mac
>> at all. I found the above and installed it. She's had it ever since.
>

> I don't know NeoOffice, but I just hope it uses open, standard formats
> rather than become yet-another-lockin^tm, which can import, but not
> properly export.

NeoOffice is OpenOffice with a more Macish interface.

--
--Tim Smith