Re: Mark Pilgim Ditches Apple, Chooses Ubuntu Linux

__/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Wednesday 07 June 2006 05:05 \__

> On 2006-06-06, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> posted something concerning:
>> I just did the opposite, after 12 years of using Linux (since '94) I
>> bought my first Mac (Macbook pro).  First impressions:  It doesn't come
>> with instructions, or a mouse.  As near as I can tell, if you want to
>> find out how to use OS/X, you have to buy a book.  I installed Firefox
>> and Openoffice (it comes with a free trial version of Word, but I won't
>> have that).  Openoffice took some researching, had to set up X first,
>> it wasn't just a download and click install.

I can recall some lengthy forum and mailing lists discussions about X under
Mac OS X. It is not trivial to set up. This means that the route to having
FOSS on the Mac is not always a trivial one, so most users will settle for
proprietary Apple 'stuff', which serves their interests, monetarily. It does
not defend the customer's right, in my humble opinion.

> Use NeoOffice (http://www.neooffice.org/). I found it works pretty good
> on Mac.
>
> The wife needed a free WP, and at the time OOo wasn't too stable on Mac
> at all. I found the above and installed it. She's had it ever since.

I don't know NeoOffice, but I just hope it uses open, standard formats rather
than become yet-another-lockin^tm, which can import, but not properly
export.

> We also tried AbiWord. The version at the time had a bad habit of
> showing great-looking documents on the screen, while printing with
> extra space between some characters, and with others jammed together.
> It's probably improved since then (a few years back). But NeoOffice has
> worked weel enough she sees no need to change.

AbiWord has a grammar checker. it's licensing terms are quite appealing. The
same applies to KOffice, I suspect.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  7:55am  up 40 days 13:28,  12 users,  load average: 2.31, 1.48, 1.19