Re: [News] UK's ESR Goes Linux

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 06 June 2006 07:55 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> Roy Culley <rgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> begin  risky.vbs
>> <7Cfgg.12152$Qg.11116@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> Colin Day <cday3@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> What's ESR? Does the UK have its own Eric S. Raymond?
>>
>> Perhaps you should read the link. :-)
>
> It would help.  This is my favourite bit:
>
> <quote>
> Harmer appreciates the freedom that open source software
> brings. "We are not tied into any forced upgrade cycles dictated
> to us," he says. "We now have ownership of the network and we
> can do whatever we like without incurring extra costs." In fact,
> Harmer says, cost reduction has been the biggest bottom-line
> benefit ESR has seen since moving to open source. "The charges
> for network management were very high per person each year," he
> says. The new system is faster, much more stable, and much less
> expensive than it had been on NetWare and Windows, according
> to Harmer. "We now have a system where to add another user we
> do not have to pay out for any more licenses. This limits the
> licensing costs to the desktop machines. Also, the hardware
> will have a longer lifetime because of the lower demand placed
> on system resources by Linux."
> </quote>
>
> summary of linux advantages:
>
> * no forced upgrade

I am not sure /anyone/ is forcing an upgrade. Urging? maybe. Forcing? I doubt
it very much.

> * ownership of network - can do what they like
> * no extra costs for customisation

Related points.

> * reduced per-person management costs
> * faster system

Related to the last 2 points (see below)

> * more stable system

Ask Didiot. She'll tell you it ain't so...

> * much less expensive than Netware
> * much less expensive than Windows
> * no extra licence cost to add a user

Well, it's just not commercial. Bulletpoints could be 'compressed'...

> * licensing limited to desktops

> * lower costs from hardware has longer lifetime
> * linux less demanding on system resources

Quite similar, these two...

> He said an awful lot in a few sentences there.

Yes. I like lists as they are more digestable. *smile* I think that the '6-7
items' rule-of-thumb (take-home) is being broken here. This could be
perceived as a good thing nonetheless.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  8:10am  up 39 days 13:43,  11 users,  load average: 2.62, 2.57, 3.00