Re: [article] Google launches web spreadsheet

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Tuesday 06 June 2006 13:21 \__

> __/ [ Paul ] on Tuesday 06 June 2006 12:22 \__
>
>> from : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5051610.stm
>>
>> Internet search engine Google has released a web-based spreadsheet
>> application, on a limited test basis.
>> Spreadsheets are software applications with grid of rows and columns
>> and some calculating capabilities, which allow users to input or
>> organise information.
>>
>> <snip />
>
> Oh, yeah! *smile* I saw it this morning, but it was unrelated to SE's. The
> most awkward thing (to me, at least) is that around this time a year ago
> (March or April), Brin said that Google were not competing with Office or
> working on a Web-based Office-type suite...
>
> How time and greed change people...
>
> Nest up; eBay killer, VoIP, Wi-Fi, private Web, Wikipedia copycat (MS
> started one already), on-line banking ('wallet'), offshorn IT services
> (third parties). Well, almost everything... as long as people trust Google
> so blindly. They already store people's data locally (GDrive, Google
> Desktop 3/4. Analytics, maybe Sitemaps and cache)

Addenda:

I suppose I could append some more stuff like E-mail to the list above. That
information has been leaked before, due to government warrants. Better
manage your own E-mail accounts, without infinite backups in some datacentre
tapes...

Anyhow, there is now a on-line tour (I found this out on Digg), which is the
reason I reply to myself *smile*. But you can't sign up yet.

http://www.google.com/googlespreadsheets/tour1.html

Looks nicer than the Web-based, Open Source package that I currently use:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/phpwebsheet/

Again, there is an advantage in having control over your own data. It can
also be installed on localhost, if needed. It makes no use of Ajax tricks,
so one must reload the page all the time. *frown* It is no longer maintained
either (been in touch with the developer). I am aware of another Web-based
spreadsheet third-party service, but I can't recall its name. It was
mentioned in Slashdot last year, among all the Web-based Office substitutes
(Zimbra, AjaxWord and so forth).