Re: Where should I be submitting?

__/ [ Michael Kynast ] on Tuesday 06 June 2006 14:53 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> If you are thinking about a "submit news" feature, think twice. These are
>> the target of spam, as in everything else in a Web of collaboration (Web
>> 2.0).
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Roy
>>

> Unfortunately a fact of life we have been dealing with these last 6
> years in accepting site and news submissions among other things.
> Including dealing with it in our forums that were closed in preparation
> of interactive contributed news editions.  Ever changing code, captcha
> and requiring registrations certainly helps.

I often wonder if the time spent setting up defences is worth the time saved
(purging spam). My CPATCHA filters were circumvented about a month ago and I
have been hammered since. The best one can do is choose some arcane method,
which nobody bothers with. Removal of identifying features (e.g. package
name and version) might help, as well.

When the world chooses more secure O/Sen, much of that SPAM will be reduced
as well. Around 80% (level only estimated) of the SPAM worldwide is the
product of hijacked Windows computers (Symatec).

> Those that are not actually spammers can unintentionally use just as
> many resources.  So actually the intention of this was to give these
> folks a visual outlet so they can see the process therefore cutting down
> on continual submissions.
>
> btw - Good luck with Iuron.  Are you actively pursuing development of
> Iuron project?

I am currently writing my thesis, so all work was set aside, apart from some
occasional posts in the newsgroups (a social escape if you like *wink*).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
  3:30pm  up 39 days 21:03,  11 users,  load average: 1.66, 1.73, 1.82