Re: [News] PC Assemblers Urged to Sell Dual-boot Systems

__/ [ William Poaster ] on Tuesday 06 June 2006 16:17 \__

> On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 15:51:38 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 06 June 2006 15:47 \__
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>> I later found *this*, which complements the former:
>>
>> http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;728845251;fp;8;fpid;0
>>

>>> He's pointing the right way - it's critical to consider the margin at
>>> each step of the way.  Not sure that this is the answer, but it looks
>>> promising, so we'll see.
>>

>> He was referring to the 'relationship' between the OEM and Microsoft, as
>> if the wrath of Redmond could play a role. I find that rather disturbing,
>> but it's a true fact and an actual factor on the ground.
>
> It will be interesting to see if this dual-boot happens. OTOH there is
> *nothing* M$ could do, if he chose to give away a free live linux CD with
> every windows box sold, complete with instructions on how to run it. <grin>

You can take a horse down to the river, but you can't make it drink. I think
that by having a boot menu (grub/lilo), you will encourage users to explore.
No harm in choice. Only added value.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
  4:55pm  up 39 days 22:28,  11 users,  load average: 1.67, 2.05, 2.06