Re: How many of you would buy the OLPC computer right now?

  • Subject: Re: How many of you would buy the OLPC computer right now?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 19:05:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 06 June 2006 19:01 \__

> me@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> is it possible to make my own OLPC laptop?
>>
>> Buy a reg laptop but strip all the fat off it and make
>> it efficient?
>
> My old Sony Picturebook comes close except it sucks batteries like
> a penguin slurps down herring.

You will be better off with battery extenders. Personally, I ditched my
laptop [1] and settled down with my Palm PDA+foldable keyboard. It is /far/
more energy-efficient and it also fits in your shirt's pocket (keyboard
too). You can pull it out for 5 seconds, jot something down while walking,
and bury it back in the pocket. No tablet or laptop can replace that.

[1] http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2004/12/30/laptop-redundancy/