Re: PC Assemblers Urged to Sell Dual-boot Systems

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 06 June 2006 20:57 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> unionpenny@xxxxxxxxx <unionpenny@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>
>> William Poaster wrote:

>>> It will be interesting to see if this dual-boot happens. OTOH there is
>>> *nothing* M$ could do, if he chose to give away a free live linux CD with
>>> every windows box sold, complete with instructions on how to run it.
>>> <grin>
>>
>> There is nothing that MS could take to court as a contract violation,
>> true.  The problem is when an OEM wants to sign up for another set of
>> Windows licenses.  "Last year you did some things we don't like.  We
>> will just double your price per license this term ..."
>>

> Yeah, that's how it works...  it's not nice, but it's reality for many
> vendors.  The sad thing for those vendors is that they'll be eaten alive
> by the new breed who're not beholden to MS in this way.  Those vendors
> and MS will collapse together.

It is like one of those folk stories that involve one animal relying on
another. There are several, which serve very well as a generic parable.

There is one which I can think of that involves a turtle helping some other
vicious animal cross a river (my dad told me this one quite recently). The
vicious animal promises not to bite, but at the end, innate nature wins and
the biting leads to both animals sinking into the water. Make what you will
from this analogy.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Yes, I know, but does it run Linux?"
  8:45am  up 40 days 14:18,  12 users,  load average: 0.94, 0.83, 0.95