Re: Some ideas for my site?

__/ [ Darren Tipton ] on Wednesday 07 June 2006 07:30 \__

> Hi guys,
>
> Might be off topic here, but if so any ideas where else I could post
> this?
>
> Don't know if you guys have any suggestions. One of my sites is
> turning around 140k page requests (around 90k visitors) per month.

The key point would probably be the _theme_ of the site. You neglected to
mention this.

> It has No 1 in MSN and favourable positions elsewhere, a few number
> 1's in Google for various keywords.
>
> I would obviously like to make some money out of it and have included
> ad sense on the site. I've experimented with the various ad positions
> and type and seem to have found a setup which works reasonably well.
>
> However, got some questions.
>
> Firstly, does anyone have an idea of how much a site with such traffic
> is worth (should someone wish to buy it). Or at least how I would go
> and find out? If I did wish to sell it, where would I advertise it?

Depends on the nature of the site. Mine barely generated income, let alone
covers the hosting fee. It also depends on how 'viral' and intrusive your
advertising is permitted to become.

> If I were to start looking to sell advertising on the site, what would
> I charge?

This depends on context and the stuff that visitors seek (dependent on SERP).
Do they arrive at your site intending to buy something? Is the credit card
already on the table? Think Web search for 'buy widget' as opposed to
'widget'.

> Does a good search engine rank really have an impact of the value of
> the site to a potential customer?

Might be. I know nothing about SEM.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows O/S: chmod a-x internet; kill -9 internet
  9:20am  up 40 days 14:53,  11 users,  load average: 1.38, 0.39, 0.54