Re: Linux is Live and Kicking

  • Subject: Re: Linux is Live and Kicking
  • From: High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 08:54:26 +0000 (UTC)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> ray wrote:
>> Frank wrote:
>>
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20060606/tc_cmp/188701822
>>
>> It also says that MS servers have 20% more available
>> uptime than RHEL servers. I'm assuming that they all
>> present at least 90% uptime - so MS would have to have
>> better than 108% uptime - difficult to achieve!
>
> It's just pure FUD from Didiot. I'm sure she got/will get
> some under-the-table dough for this 'study', as well as a
> rim job from her beloved Bullmer.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Didio
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | An example of her opinion on how Open Source Software is
> | handled shows in this remark (quoted from a phone
> | interview from her home in Massachusetts): "The thing
> | about Linux is, you can talk about a free, open operating
> | system all you want, but you can't take that idea of free
> | and open and put it into a capitalist system and maintain
> | it as though it is some kind of hippie commune or ashram,
> | because if you can do it like that, at that point I'm
> | like, 'Pass the hookah please!'"
> |
> | On another occasion, she made a similar comment: "I'm all
> | for open source, and competition serves everyone's
> | interest. But if Linux is really to take its place
> | alongside Windows... then the vendors in this space
> | cannot act like a bunch of hippies in a '60s commune or
> | ashram. There really is no such thing as a free lunch."
> |
> | Unsurprisingly Linux advocates have in response heavily
> | criticised DiDio. Typical criticism are a lack of formal
> | Computer Science qualifications and promoting studies
> | funded by Microsoft, frequently this has resulted in
> | questioning of her integrity and her being characterised
> | as "a Microsoft shill".
> `----

Yahoo news article stated:

[quote]
But standard Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and Linux
distributions from "niche" open source vendors, are offline
more and longer than either Windows or Unix competitors, the
survey said. The reason: the scarcity of Linux and open
source documentation. [/quote]

That statement is rather presumptuous.  "Niche" vendors?
Lack of documentation?  (Looks both ways for trolls lurking
around the corner.)  At least documentation is available.
Seems everything related to the competition costs.  Let's
look at the flip side.  If I want to learn Visual Basic, it
will cost me.  Ditto with MS Access.

Oops!  Forgive me.  It must be because there are few animated
audio/visual book tutorials in Linux to entertain busy
people.   :-)

--
HPT