Re: [News] OpenOffice, Not Google, Can Kill Microsoft Office

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Another Google App, Another Google Yawn
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | No, the real power for any office suite will continue to remain on the
> | desktop. And, as it happens, there already a better and free alternative
> | to Microsoft Office for the desktop: OpenOffice.org.
> |
> | OpenOffice is what can really give Microsoft's near-monopoly in the
> | office suite stakes a run for its money. And, unlike the Google
> | applications, it's already fully here, with Microsoft Office file and
> | macro compatibility.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | So, if you really want to use something other than Microsoft Office for
> | your office suite and pay nothing for it, it's to the open-source
> | OpenOffice.org you should be looking, not Google.
> `----
>
>                 http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20060606/tc_zd/180190

If this google spreadsheet is anything to go by then online office is likely
to take off, eventually. Google spreadsheet is still just beta, with not
all options enabled, but it is very capable spreadsheet software, fully
network sharable.

The way I look at it though there will be a place for online office and
remote office via VPN. I know we can have those now, but imho this
technology means that we can go back to applications on the servers. One
application to maintain, one company wide update, and as the servers are
nearly always the power beasts in any network, then handling this sort of
thing will hardly touch the resource level meter.

Then that can be followed by any user logging onto any client and all the
applications are the same. Effectively turning the clients into dumb
terminals. Seems like a step backwards, but I often think that computers
are wasted on users, dumb terminals for dummies, much more appropriate.

I wonder if I can come up with a case for bringing back serial networks too.