Re: [News] MSFT Alert - Jump Ship

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Wednesday 07 June 2006 16:32 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> What about Debian, Ubuntu, Xandros, and Linspire? The way I perceive this,
>> the beautiful thing about Linux is that nobody is forced to /buy/ it (the
>> poor therefore wins too).
>
> The poor need jobs.
>
> The robust growth of a commercial Linux industry will feed more people,
> in more ways, than the traditional business structures.
>
> OSS is the true ecology of the next economy.

There is a recent article which explains this rather nicely:

           http://allafrica.com/stories/200605180189.html

It is called "South Africa: Open Source 'Helps You And Helps SA'"

Imagine yourself a country that creates its own software for its own needs.
It employs more people to attain its own goals, so the money stays within
and the power is localised rather than be perceived as an offshorn
_service_. At present, too few have their eyes on crucial software that is
being used by so many and, as a consequence, workstations nowadays are easy
to hijack, infiltrate, and manipulate.

Have a read. You'll see what I mean...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Warning 0x12C: ispell feels tired
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  4:35pm  up 40 days 22:08,  11 users,  load average: 0.93, 0.90, 0.87