Re: Why Ubuntu is Better than Mac OS X

  • Subject: Re: Why Ubuntu is Better than Mac OS X
  • From: "Kleuskes & Moos" <kleuske@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 7 Jun 2006 10:30:51 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
tab schreef:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> > Yes, I posted this yesterday and managed to get into the front page of Digg,
> > but here is the most recent comment from the highly influential Mark Pilgim
> > (the writer and programmer behind the Dive Into Mark blog).
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | Yeah, the UI still isn't as slick as Mac OS X, even the "full" desktop
> > | suites like GNOME and KDE (although KDE does have a lot of eye candy).
> > | I'll be the first to admit that the OS X interface is slicker. But on the
> > | flip side, there are a *lot* of things you can do out-of-the-box on Linux
> > | that require third-party software on Mac OS X. A keyboard-based
> > | application launcher (OS X needs Launchbar or QuickSilver). System-wide
> > | theme changer (OS X needs ShapeShifter or ThemeChanger). System-wide
> > | notification system (OS X needs Growl). Multiple desktops (OS X needs
> > | Desktop Manager). Ubuntu also comes with a feed reader, a BitTorrent
> > | client, an IM client (that talks to *every* service), an IRC client, a
> > | VNC client, a full-screen video player, and a complete office suite
> > | that saves your documents in an open ISO standard by default (and can
> > | also read and write MS Office files). This is not fanboy hype either;
> > | all of these things really work, and I actually use them on a regular
> > | basis.
> > |
> > | Oh, and it's all free as in beer *and* speech.
> > `----

> Still can't figure out that people and something cool?

Say what? You need to READ those post before hitting the 'send' button,
tabby.

> Apple gets a premium, linux is free.

As in "free speech".

> You have to GIVE a computer away to get people on linux and
> win desktop market share.

Who'se giving away computers? I want one!

>  Sad.

Running a combination of both OS's in a network, I prefer a Mac for its
sheer confort and my linux-box to get the tough jobs done. Nothing sad
about that.

Basically, anything but windows will do.