Re: Roy Schestowitz - Pirate

  • Subject: Re: Roy Schestowitz - Pirate
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 19:40:27 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ flatfish+++ ] on Wednesday 07 June 2006 20:38 \__

> On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 13:25:19 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> So, it appears that Roy is using images on his blog that he has wholesale
>> copied from the authors without permission.
>>
>> I noticed this on this article:
>>
>> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/03/03/scoble-given-up/
>>
>> Interesting that he credits the image author (for that one), but he
>> neglected to actually get the authors permission to copy it.  I was
>> supsicious that this might be the case and emailed the author to find out.
>> He confirmed that it was copyright infringement.
>>
>> If he had merely linked to the image, it would have been more acceptable,
>> since he wouldn't have actually copied the image.  However, that would beg
>> the bandwidth stealing argument of linking to images on other peoples
>> sites.
>>
>> In any event, I have to wonder how many other images on his site have been
>> similarly misappropriated.  Many of them have no credits at all.
>>
>> Bummer for you Roy.
>
> I'm pretty much convinced that Roy is being paid to post all these
> articles in COLA by someone that has an interest in positive publicity for
> Linux.

You would hope it's true, wouldn't you? Not everyone is as corrupted as
Microsoft, who admittedly paid forum participants in the past.

> He is evidently a PHD student and where he can find the time to post all
> of this *stuff* and still complete his studies is beyond me, unless there
> is an incentive in it for him.
> It just doesn't add up.

Actually, today I assembled videos for the CD-ROM that will accompany my
thesis. I also got my 240-page TeX to compile without warnings and I shall
resume tomorrow. What's the matter, Gary?

Roy (last followup)

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E