Re: Roy Schestowitz - Pirate

  • Subject: Re: Roy Schestowitz - Pirate
  • From: William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 23:13:29 +0100
  • Jlaforums: I am NOT a "Guest", I am BANNED from JLAforums but they STILL archive my USENET posts!
  • M$-windows: Bullmanure-enhanced.com
  • Machine: Test drive
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 19:40:27 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ flatfish+++ ] on Wednesday 07 June 2006 20:38 \__
>
>> On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 13:25:19 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>>
>>> So, it appears that Roy is using images on his blog that he has
>>> wholesale copied from the authors without permission.
>>>
>>> I noticed this on this article:
>>>
>>> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/03/03/scoble-given-up/
>>>
>>> Interesting that he credits the image author (for that one), but he
>>> neglected to actually get the authors permission to copy it.  I was
>>> supsicious that this might be the case and emailed the author to find
>>> out. He confirmed that it was copyright infringement.
>>>
>>> If he had merely linked to the image, it would have been more
>>> acceptable, since he wouldn't have actually copied the image.  However,
>>> that would beg the bandwidth stealing argument of linking to images on
>>> other peoples sites.
>>>
>>> In any event, I have to wonder how many other images on his site have
>>> been similarly misappropriated.  Many of them have no credits at all.
>>>
>>> Bummer for you Roy.
>>
>> I'm pretty much convinced that Roy is being paid to post all these
>> articles in COLA by someone that has an interest in positive publicity
>> for Linux.
>

> You would hope it's true, wouldn't you? Not everyone is as corrupted as
> Microsoft, who admittedly paid forum participants in the past.

The name of the group: comp.os.linux.advocacy  So *if* anyone was being
paid to post items about *linux* in a *linux* newsgroup, so what? It's a
damn sight more on topic than the wintrolls are with their FUD &
half-baked lies.

>> He is evidently a PHD student and where he can find the time to post all
>> of this *stuff* and still complete his studies is beyond me, unless
>> there is an incentive in it for him.
>> It just doesn't add up.
>

> Actually, today I assembled videos for the CD-ROM that will accompany my
> thesis. I also got my 240-page TeX to compile without warnings and I shall
> resume tomorrow. What's the matter, Gary?

Flatfish frothing again, nothing to say.

--
www.jlaforums.com steals usenet newsgroup posts, & misleads the public
into thinking the posts come from their own forums. THEY DON'T!