Re: Roy Schestowitz - Pirate

In article <1149788349.491428.92950@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Larry
Qualig wrote:
> A very large percentage of the content there is from COLA posters other
> than himself.
>
> This is certainly a copyright violation. He has the right to post his
> *OWN* usenet postings but according to copyright law, he has no right to
> put other peoples USENET posts on his site.

I disagree.  Given the way usenet works--essentially a P2P message
distribution system, where it is well-known that there are web-based
archives of various groups, I'd say that when an author knowingly posts to
usenet, either

1. he is giving an implied license to all sites that are part of normal
usenet distribution.  That includes web-based archives and forums nowadays,
or

2. the author is the one doing the copying.  At least to sites where this is
no editorial control exercised over choosing what usenet content to carry
beyond the whole group level, the mechanism is in place, and the author is
the person who "pushed the button", so to speak.

--
--Tim Smith