Re: Roy Schestowitz - Pirate

  • Subject: Re: Roy Schestowitz - Pirate
  • From: "asj" <kalim1998@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 9 Jun 2006 22:36:43 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> If he had merely linked to the image, it would have been more acceptable,
> since he wouldn't have actually copied the image.  However, that would beg
> the bandwidth stealing argument of linking to images on other peoples
> sites.

Yeah, no kidding. I'd rather they use it on their server BUT post
authorship notices and a link back to my site.

I maintain sites that have lots of images, and some people have done
much worse. That is, used images on their server and post no notices of
ownership at all.

I think Roy did a no-no, but certainly not something that would entail
so much vociferous arguments. his is not a commercial site, nor does he
charge people for viewing the images. if the author emails him to
please take it down, i'm sure he would comply.

in fact, by providing authorship and link backs he is actually helping
the guy out by popularizing and spreading the work.