Re: The NSA Makes Its Own Linux Contributions Available for Free

__/ [ Black Dragon ] on Friday 09 June 2006 12:11 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/
>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| There is still much work needed to develop a complete security solution.
>>| Nonetheless, we feel we have presented a good starting point to bring
>>| valuable security features to Linux. We are looking forward to building
>>| upon this work with the Linux community.
>> `----
>
> NSA? Contribute to Linux?
>
> How many back doors (to help fight the war on terrorism of course) do you
> want in your OS today?

Their  changes were only incorporated into Fedora, I believe, which is  of
course  transparent. I doubt Red Hat will permit any kernel  modifications
that  leave  back doors and conceal these. The argument you make is  often
attributed to Chinese distributions, as part of FUD campaigns (e.g. be the
victim of Chinese hackers or Ballmer's "are you going to trust some guy in
China?", which at the same time associated Linux with communism).

Before  you know it, the same vendor that has secretly been  eavesdropping
on  all  users  on a daily basis will use such arguments  as  a  deterring
warning against GNU/Linux...

As in Firefox, Apache and other popular open source projects, mind you, no
accusations  can be made without quoting some lines of source code.  Since
the  kernel  is  modular,  such a task should not  be  hard  either.  Many
/different/  vendors  with  /different/ and almost  conflicting  interests
(e.g. Novell, Debian, governments) are watching the code on a daily basis.
Think of it as peer review.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Reversi for Linux/Win32: http://othellomaster.com
 12:25pm  up 42 days 17:58,  10 users,  load average: 0.25, 0.44, 0.61