Re: More Anti-Linux FUD from Ballmer

  • Subject: Re: More Anti-Linux FUD from Ballmer
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 22:00:04 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nate.pilk@xxxxxxxxx
<nate.pilk@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on 10 Jun 2006 13:23:36 -0700
<1149971016.389021.116140@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Ballmer: Windows HPC Edition To Steal Share From Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Ballmer said Linux is not gaining as much share against Windows as
>> | naysayers once predicted. The Linux desktop has gone nowhere and
>> | Linux server sales have peaked, he claimed.
>> |
>> | "Four years ago, people wrote that we'd be wiped out by Linux. Four
>> | years later, how are they doing? They're not gaining share. Four years
>> | ago, we were supposed to be wiped out. We've not lost share to
>> | them--maybe we're down a point--and that can almost be all accounted
>> | for by the number of Linux servers Google's put in," Ballmer quipped.
>> |

>> | [...]
>> |
>> | One open source consultant dismissed Ballmer's contention, and said
>> | Linux' momentum is not over.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=188703264&cid=CRNBreakingNews
>
> If Linux is not threatening MS, then why are they resorting to below
> the belt tactics like "Get the facts, paying $300 a pop for Window's
> Licenses will save you money!" (see http://microsoft.com/facts).

Hardly below the belt, unless they're doing mismatches
between Xeons and sx90s again again.  It is very possible
that $300 will save one money -- in the long run.

I doubt it, for many reasons, but it is possible.
After all, $300 is about 3 hours of a highly competent
IT professional's time, and if Windows can save that
professional 3 hours of aggravation, it's worth it.

If Windows *gives* him 3 hours (or more!) of aggravation,
of course, ...  :-)

> Linux
> has not even started to gain serious momentum, the current market share
> that we have is just the "tip of the iceberg", to use the cliche. Just
> wait until people see that Vista doesn't solve their problems, problems
> that were solved by Linux years ago with lesser system requirements.

Very true.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.