Re: [News] Microsoft Plays Massachusetts Senate Card

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Tuesday 20 June 2006 15:40 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Another take on the same case of corrupting/subverting justice:
>>
>> Microsoft plays Massachusetts Senate card
>> | However, this week Vole gave Massachusetts high schools and universities
>> | more than splashed out more than $30 million worth of IT gear. This
>> | works out at $800 per student, and $2,400 per college kid. This is a
>> | huge amount of dosh, by education donation standards, in what is a very
>> | small US State.
>>                         http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32515
>
> It's a grant to pay themselves though!!!
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060619-7084.html
>
> "The grant is Microsoft programs, not cash, so it's not as though the
> company is actually shelling out US$30 million. Still, that much software
> is significant for a small state, and it has led critics to look for an
> ulterior motive on Microsoft's part?and some think that they've found it."

It is software that Mass. would not have paid for anyway. All we talk about
here are licences; nothing physical. Thus, they throw no money away and at
the same time they sabotage ODF adoption by putting forward temptation.
Sneaky. How long before the entire world threatens to move to ODF and, as a
result, gets Microsoft's shoddy software for free? Maybe they can go for the
advertising business model after all and give Live Office for free... the
cow will still produce no milk.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Free the mind, the source will follow"
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  3:35pm  up 53 days 20:49,  12 users,  load average: 0.90, 0.96, 1.05