Re: [News] Ten Things That Linux Beginners 'Unlearn'

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 07:53:21 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

| 9) Under the "Start" menu, or Linux equivalent, you will find
| applications usually (sometimes your vendor makes strange placement
| choices) grouped in logical terms such as Internet

On average, though, Windows or Mac apps are fare more descriptive in their names. Photoshop, Greet Card Creator, EZ CD Creator, Hallmark Card Studio, Corel Draw, Word Perfect, Lotus Notes, Keynote, DVD Studio, SoundForge, Norton Antivirus, TurboTax, and the list goes on and on.

While that is true for the most part, what really get to me is the way a lot of windows software tries to create start menu icons within a company folder.

This is not a problem if you're alert while installing, but for new users they end up with a similar situation, lots of items in the start menu that you have to expand to see what exactly they are.