Re: [News] Ten Things That Linux Beginners 'Unlearn'

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 07:53:21 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>  10 Things a new Linux user needs to unlearn

Man, whoever wrote this needs to take a course in logic, or communication.

> ,----[ Gist ]
>| 1) Reboots are not SOP (Standard Operating Procedure).

You need to unlearn that reboots are not SOP?  Wouldn't that mean learning
that they are?

>| 2) "It is recommended that you close all apps before proceeding" is a
>| message you will fail to see.

Apart from the fact that this isn't generally required under Windows since
Windows 9x, again the logic is inverted here.

[... more inverted logic ...]

>| 4) Linux comes with many, many, many, many applications to do pretty
>| much anything you want to do with a computer.

Yeah, like do your taxes, or perhaps create greeting cards.  More inverted
logic.

>| 5) Stop looking for EULA boxes.

Who ever looked for them?

>| 6) Autoconfiguration. After you buy that USB drive, or that printer (you
>| did verify that it is Linux compatible), plug it in then start using it.

You need to unlearn that?

>| 8) Defrag.

Wow, finally something with the right logic.

>| 9) Under the "Start" menu, or Linux equivalent, you will find
>| applications usually (sometimes your vendor makes strange placement
>| choices) grouped in logical terms such as Internet

This is one of the most bone stupid things that bugs me about Linux.  The
tendancy to name applications in the menus by their function, rather than
what they are.  If you're lucky, it will say something like "Web Browser
(Firefox)" but all too often it just says "Web Browser" or "Email", which
could be anything... especially if there's more than one of them.

This stems from the problem that there are so many packages installed by
default that the typical user did not choose that they have no idea what is
installed, and have to be condescendingly told only what the app does, not
what it is.  Combine this with the absolutely pointless names of many linux
aspps (Kate?  How do you tell what that is by its name?) and it's confusion
central.

While it's true that there are Windows or Mac apps that have vague names as
well, the difference is that the user tends to explicitly install them,
which indicates that they know what it is and what it does.

On average, though, Windows or Mac apps are fare more descriptive in their
names.  Photoshop, Greet Card Creator, EZ CD Creator, Hallmark Card Studio,
Corel Draw, Word Perfect, Lotus Notes, Keynote, DVD Studio, SoundForge,
Norton Antivirus, TurboTax, and the list goes on and on.

>| 10) You computer is yours.

Now there's something to unlearn.