Re: [News] Origami PC Fails, Microsoft to Try Again

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Tuesday 20 June 2006 09:16 \__

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1978818,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

>> Microsoft Preps Ultramobile PC for Second Chance
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Despite having been on the market only a few months, ultramobile PCs,
>> | the keyboard-less handheld computers capable of running Windows XP,
>> | have already been panned by analysts and many reviewers.
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1977589,00.asp
>
> I can understand MS carrying on developing this, its a nice idea.

I beg to differ. The reason why people choose a portable device is for
portability, enabling them to do _portable_ 'things'. When the initial
wah-wah over the 'PC everywhere' concept is over, they opt for things they
do _on the go_. People are unlikely to play games while walking in the
street and if they ever wish to do so, the devide must be small and light.
It doesn't need to assimilate to a laptop or be anywhere in between. The
Nokia 770 is big enough already and it has even got Gogole's attention and
support.

> I would
> have been doubtfull too at one time, but now that I have gotten used to my
> PDA I couldn't be without it. I suspect that when the orrigami pc is in use
> it will follow a similar path.

Tablet PC's are nothing new. If this was an adoption factor, the Orgami would
sell (well). Tablet PC's are Gates' little pet. He is only trying to
convince himself that his outlook was not wrong as he tries again, and
again, and again. What about the Xbox 360, which has already accumulated a
loss of about 4 billion dollars?

Microsoft is now going head-to-head against the iPod. DRM lockins and user
channelling is the only thing that can give them momentum. Microsoft folks
have also begun entering the webcams business. More shoddy, overpriced
hardware yet to be stocked at your local shop...

> All I hope is that they don't make it too small, little diddy screens might
> look cute and fit in pockets, but they are crappy to use.

At least you can use them at the gym, or at the queue in a grocery store.
It's only 'portable stuff' that you need to do on the PDA.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | What is all that lipstick in XP's close button?
Cpu(s):  20.6% user,   3.7% system,  18.2% nice,  57.5% idle